Tuesday 11 October 2011

Totem update

It's the final week of our brief and the deadline is looming! Today has been very productive so far, but I'm confident there will be a few very late nights to get this sculpture finished in time for our photography workshop on Friday. 

Here is my progression so far:

...from the plan...


...through to some of the drawings...




...an initial attempt at an image transfer...


...to building the sculpture...

Here is the base, the plant pot structure with the venus flytrap arms. 
I weighted down the bottom by covering it in a couple of layers of mod roc. If necessary I will add more to keep it stable once I've built it up more.


Here is the heart, which will sit on top of the sculpture. The heart strings hook into the fabric and hang down to wrap around the sculpture and link with some of the venus flytrap arms.
I'm not sure if I'm 100% happy with the black lace edging around the heart-looks a little tacky? Might have to alter this if I have time.


Here I've started to build up the height of the sculpture. This was a fairly simple process: I cut lengths of wire to attach at the wire of the 'plant pot', then linked them together with wire wrapping round and upwards towards the top (like a spiral staircase).




Here I've roughly assembled the structure. The heart will sit on top (more nicely when i've tidied up the  wire). I'm pleased so far it's turning out how I want it to. 

...Had to have a bit of a break as I'm a little bit stuck with making the venus flytrap 'heads'. I set out to make the sculpture without using glue of any kind, but I think I will have to resort to using a glue gun due to the time constraints. I attempted to make a flytrap 'head' using very fine wire, and felt, sewn on to the thicker wire of the arms, which was incredibly fiddly and definitely too time consuming when I will need to make at least 16 of them...


...and finally, to give a better idea of the scale...

No comments:

Post a Comment