Saturday 22 October 2011

Maybeshewill in Manchester

On Wednesday 19th October Bryony and I went to a gig at Alter Ego, the main motivation being to see one of the support bands, Mojo Fury. Unfortunately their set was shorter than planned because of technical difficulties after the first song, but as usual they performed well and treated us to a couple of new songs! Here is one I attempted to video called 'To Comprehend' (apologies for the confusing zooming in and out):


...but since the gig I have been listening to a lot more Maybeshewill as well. They play powerful, atmospheric sounding post-rock instrumental music (I hope that's an accurate enough description)...here is a better one from Last.fm:
Maybeshewill are an  band from Leicester, UK. Maybeshewill’s music is characterised by the use of electronic elements alongside more traditional ‘rock’ instrumentation. The band’s music is also littered with references to film and popular culture.
At the moment I am particularly impressed with their song 'Critical Distance' and its accompanying video, which combines live action and animation. The stop-motion technique is so fascinating! The jerky movement it creates goes perfectly with the music. It's definitely an art form I'd love to be able to explore in my illustration this year, not that I can hope to create anything quite this good...

No comments:

Post a Comment