Sunday 16 October 2011

Is knitting truly theraputic?

As quite a time-consuming activity, it would be understandable to assume that it becomes mind-numbingly boring. I'm not claiming that I can knit non-stop for hours on end without a break (not a granny, just yet!), but I can certainly lose track of time when I really get into it, and it doesn't bore me. The more practice I get, the more naturally the action comes to me, and the less frequent the little mistakes (that can, frustratingly, completely ruin the patterns if I'm not confident with fixing them). So, I had a look into theories of knitting being genuinely therapeutic. Some doctors seem to believe it can have significant health benefits, focusing around how the knitting can act as a form of meditation, thereby combatting stress. Basically, knitting is one of many good forms of escapism.
The rhythmic repetitive movements of knitting are important - quite how, we're not absolutely certain of yet, but we have our theories. Anecdotal evidence strongly suggests that they induce a form of meditation very similar to Mindfulness. Recent research has shown that Mindfulness can be very effective in treating depression and chronic pain. It can also help those who are fit and healthy to combat stress and to manage life's downs. It helps you to put into perspective any traumatic issues that would normally dominate your waking thoughts helping you to find a stable balance between problematic events and feelings and more positive, pleasant sensations within the current moment. It's a state of mind where you're not mulling over the past or fretting about the future.
'Knit On The Net'


No comments:

Post a Comment