Sunday 5 February 2012

Little White Lies brief progression

I now have an idea that I am happy with, and is in the early stages of development.
Initially I was reluctant to go ahead with it as it will be a 3d structure again, similar to what I made for my Totem. I was worried that this might be inappropriate for the brief, as it strays quite far away from how a typical portrait would look, and is definitely very different from the examples of covers on previous issues of the magazine. However, after I little encouragement from my tutor, I've decided to go ahead with this plan, in the hope that they might take a shine to something a little bit different!

So, like my Totem, I will be creating a structure; this time in the shape of a swan, with imagery (of Nina) on paper sewn onto it. Here was how the idea looked roughly in my head when it first came to life:
So far I've been putting off beginning making the swan, partly because it seems like a daunting task at the moment (an essay on postmodernism needs some serious attention), and partly because I'm not sure how big to make it. My tutor also mentioned a simple way of making it easy to fit the right scale when I'm using 3d- make a frame the exact size of the required dimensions (or to the right proportions) to fit things into so that when I photograph the work it should be easy to fit to the Little White Lies cover template.

I've been continuing some studies of Nina, mostly using film stills, which has reminded me of how much I enjoyed doing studies of Amelie screen shots last year, using watercolour and ink.
Amelie screen shot studies.

Black Swan screen shot studies.

No comments:

Post a Comment